Thursday, October 1, 2009

E-male

In order to send out casting calls, and take care of other business related to my short film I created an email account.


Whenever I send an email, I always sign it:
-Matty Greene


There have been a few times when I have received e-mails back that addressed me as Matt, and even once as Mr. Greene. It's always interesting to see these variations, because they say different things about our social interactions.

For example, the person who shortens my name to Matt, is trying to imply a sense of informality in order to establish a closer, friendlier relationship.

The person who addresses me as Mr. Greene does so in an attempt to be formal and courteous.

This article from Netmanners addresses formality in emails.

If you do not know them very well or at all, always use the highest level of formality Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc. to start. Especially in business, you don’t want to get too informal too soon

Another article from netmanners on Assuming Genders in E-Mail states:

I am always talking about not assuming when it comes to an e-mail. Assuming never leads to anything positive. If you are unsure; ask.

As you can see, this issue is an intersection of both gender and status. In the replies to my casting calls, people are trying to establish a relationship that did not exist before, in a way they are comfortable with.

It's always interesting to see who assumes I am male, and even more exciting when they show up to the casting call and realize I'm not a 'Mr. Greene' at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment